Job Profile of Tax Related Officers- Income TAX Inspector, Custom, Examiner, Excise and Enforcement officer
In this article, we are going to discuss Tax related Officer jobs. Mainly, there are two different kind of jobs available in Tax department; Direct Tax and Indirect Tax.
In Direct Tax, Only Income Tax inspector works while there are 2 different types of inspectors in Indirect Tax i.e.; Custom, Examiner and Excise. Direct Tax departments works under the CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes) while Indirect Tax departments works under the CBEC (Central Board of Excise and Custom Taxes). We will discuss job profiles of Both Departments.
Starting with Job Profile of Tax Departments
Job Profile of Income Tax Inspector (ITI)
As already told CBDT department deals with Direct tax and different type of taxes comes under this category which are Income tax, Corporate Tax, Capital Gain Tax etc. Main work is to check files of all main companies whether Individual, Partnership etc. If any company had submitted tax in excess; He also has authority to refund the amount. He is also a part of Raiding time and also having authority to check TDS at different locations. Some of the main aspects about ITI Officer profile and resposnsibilities are following:
- Special survey of companies, shops, offices under section 133A of the IT Act, 1961.
- If you raid at any company and you find something wrong, you have to be present in court during proceedings.
- To keep record of tax filling of all companies and their sales detail.
- There is also 3 months training available for ITI officers from time to time. An additional allowance would be paid this time.
Pros and Cons of Income tax inspector Job
As everything has its pros and cons; same is with ITI officers also. We can’t say it is good post or bad. It totally depends upon only interest. We can only present both sides of ITI post. It is up to you if you want to continue with life or not.
Positive aspects of ITI job are about its respect throughout the Public. You will get lot of respect in your Family members as well as a Job person. Your totally work will include Public dealing where you can prove your talent also by solving their problems. Pay scale as well as promotion is also good as compared to all other jobs.
Negative aspects of ITI job is also the Public dealing. As your work will include Public dealing; so some businessman will try to give you under table money for hiding their taxes or any problem. Now, it is up to you how you going to handle. So, this dealing could create your enemies also. Your post would be totally under strict vigilance by the CVC. Back stabbing as well as Departmental complains are also one of the problem in this job in case of more honesty.
ITI comes under the category of Pay Scale 4600 which is Grade B scale. You don’t need to wear any proper uniform given by the department.
Most of time, Promotion is given on the basis of Seniority. But, Passing of Departmental exam is also compulsory for any promotion. For promotion to Income tax officer, minimum 3 years of Job experience is required. But, Seniority in departmental also plays major role. SP, it could take 4-6 years also. After getting promotion to Assistant Commissioner, You would be counted as the officer of Grade A jobs and your posting could be anywhere. No matter what is your hometown.
An Additional Allowance only for ITI
You are eligible for entitled for 30 liter of petrol if posted on assessment seat with one Sim from the department on which all STD calls to BSNL/MTNL phone are free and 400 minutes on other phones. With 1 GB of free 3G data….:)
Indirect Tax jobs
As we already told, Excise, Examiner and Customs duty posts come under the category of Indirect Tax jobs and handled by the CBEC (Central Board of Excise and Custom taxes). Sales tax, Customs Duty comes under the Indirect taxes; so it is CBEC duty to let them know their officers their duty and responsibilities. Don’t confuse Sales tax with Central Govt. tax. It comes under the State govt. and all its matters resolved by the state govt. officers.
Starting with job profile of Excise Duty
Excise Duty officers would get Khaki color dress from their officers. Now, it is their wish whether they want to wear or not. It is totally optional and for this post you also have to clear Physical Test with Exam.
Responsibilities of Excise Duty officers:
- To check the Work of Sub Inspectors employed under them and take proper step in case of any offences of Shops, Company etc.
- Proper inspection of Excise and Service tax filled by the company.
- In case of Headquarters posting, Clerical work also have to do like Scrutinize of file, supervisory of Exported goods etc.
- Raids also conducted by the Excise officers which are not so adventurous as compared to ITI.
As we already represent promotion chart of Excise Officers, It is clearly evident that in this posts, there are less promotion as comparison to ITI. First Promotion would take around 8 to 10 years. Promotion basis is also same as ITI, Screening exam and seniority also plays a major role. It is possible that Excise officers would get their posting zone. But, after promotion to Group A post; Assistant Commissioner, your posting could be all over India because your job would come under the UPSC officers.
Job profile of Custom Duty officer
Customs officers are also called as Preventive officers. Their job is totally advent ours with Limited area defined. Custom Dufy officers are also Grade B officers with same pay scale of ITI Grade officers. To clear physical test is also necessary for this post. You will be given White color uniform to wear which is necessary to wear during Duty timing.
There is less surety for Preventive officers to get posting in Hometown. Because, most of these types of jobs are only available in 11 Coastal Cities.
Custom Duty officer’s responsibilities:
- Core job is to stop Smuggling with full responsibility to stop trading anything if having any doubt.
- Checking of Imported goods and maintain proper data sheet of Trading.
- You have to proper check all documents and transports system in Trade and transport department.
- In some cases during Job work, you have more power as compared to ITI, Excise officers.
- Job is mix up of Intelligence and Preventive work. There is no time light and also round the clock Jobs. Sometimes, you also have to work day and night to solve case.
- Totally you have to deal with Smugglers and culprits, Get ready for their secret plans and making more enemies.
Job profile of Examiner
Examiner is also Grade B job with same physical requirements as Preventive officers. Plus point about this profile is that you don’t need to wear any Uniform during Duty timing also. Examiner post is only available in 6 regions.
- To check assessment duty on goods.
- T examines Imported-Exported goods.
- If your posting is in Headquarters, You also have to do clerical work related to Import-Export Trade.
Promotion chart of Examiner Post:
Assistant Enforcement Officer ( AEO)
AEO post is also Grade B officer Job and kind of inspector Job with no special departmental dress. Your profile would be covered under the Directorate of Enforcement Officer, Department of Revenue. As its name indicating, it is related to observance. Initially, Work profile would be like Clerical inspection of records, old files, tax reports, labor reports, Assist director in inquiries etc. If promoted to field post after training; Job Profile and responsibilities would be like;
- Checking of Black Money.
- Stop on Illegal money transfer.
- Checking on money laundering.
- Allowed to raid on suspected places or persons.
- Also allowed to arrest if found any guilty.
- Proper inspection of Foreign exchange transfer.
- Proper maintaining of two laws; FEMA ( Foreign Exchange Management ACT) and PMLA ( Prevention of Money Laundering act.
Mainly, Posting of AEO officers are available in 21 offices divided into two different zones ( Zonal office and Sub-Zonal Offices) which are separately headed by the Joint Director and Deputy Director.
|10 Zonal offices||11 Sub-Zonal Offices|
|Under Joint Director||Under Deputy Director|
Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi,
Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow and
|Bhubaneswar, Calicut, Guwahati,
Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar, Madurai,
Nagpur, Patna, Srinagar and
For first 3 years of Joining, there is no procedure of state transfer. However, inter Zonal transfer is possible even after 15 days of joining.
Promotion Aspects as a AEO
First promotion is possible within 5 years and after that it is your performance and fate who going to decide your career and your future.
Pros and Cons of AEO JOb
As we all know every post has its merits as well as demerits; Same thing with this post also. Merits are for adventurous and hard-working person. First Promotion time is also short as to other Departmental promotion. Demerits are for those who like social status and power to show off. Nothing with this job; You are only inspector for yourself; impossible to let people know about you. Quick transfer could be one single reason for demerits.